If you’ve clicked on this page, I’m pretty sure that you have watched the most popular Taiwan movie of the year – 我的少女时代 (Our Times). Do note that if you have not watched the movie, there might be spoilers in this entry so do read on with caution.
Unlike most overly-hyped movie which turns out to be overrated, this highly anticipated movie did not fail my expectations. It has a fair share of heart-wrenching moments, jokes and there will be at least a moment in the movie where you can certainly relate to. This was also a movie which made me think back about various scenes when I read shared articles talking about memorable quotes and scenes. I know of many friends who re-watched the movie twice because they simply love it too much..
Anyway, here’s me doing what I’m best at – sharing the filming locations of the movie in English. Thankfully this task was not a difficult one as the Taiwanese fans and media were very helpful and generous in sharing information online and my job is just to summarise and translate these useful information to English. Enjoy~
This movie is predominantly filmed in Taipei and Hsinchu City 新竹 (approximately an hour’s drive away). I will elaborate on the more significant places of the movie.
1. The most notable venue of interest would of course be the school that they were in – 新竹高商 (Xinzhu High School of Commerce)
Address: No. 128, Xuefu Rd, East District, Hsinchu City, Taiwan 30068 新竹市學府路128號
Transport: Take bus 1 from Hsinchu Railway Station 新竹火车站 and alight at the bus stop opposite the school.
There were many memorable scenes from the classroom, the bookshop, the corridor, the running track, the swimming pool and most importantly their secret hangout place – the rooftop.
The best part is that the school even provided a map on their facebook page for eager fans to visit. I’ve done some translation for our non-chinese fans.
Let’s recall some of the scenes with some photos that I’ve found online (Photo Cr: http://littlesourj.blogspot.sg/2015/08/20150809.html) from an alumni student re-visiting her school after the movie together with the screenshots that I’ve taken from the title song 小幸运 sang by Hebe and some behind the scenes interview footage that I found on Youtube. Please credit me if you plan to retrieve information from this entry. I’ve spent a lot of effort in putting this together.
1.Rooftop Scene – secret hangout place between Zhenxin and Taiyu.
5. Staff Office – where Taiyu is usually getting scolded.
6. School Hall
7. Swimming Pool scene – where she got punished to clean and ended up seeing Ouyang and Minmin and jumped into the water to hide herself and Taiyu came to her rescue..
8. This is the alley that Taiyu and Ouyang first fought; also known as the recycling area.
9. Here’s the basketball court where Ouyang played basketball and the starting scene whereby Zhenxin was gushing over Ouyang playing the guitar.
10. Running track where Taiyu ran until he fainted.
11. School Field where the water bomb fight took place
Other less significant places in Hsinzhu
- The school wall that they climbed over to skip class to go to the skating ring is Sanmin Elementary School 三民國小 located at No. 66, Ziyou Rd, East District, Hsinchu City, Taiwan 300
- First Date walking path (where she dressed up like crap) to meet Taiyu for a study date is located near 微醺Tipsy Lounge Bar (No. 33, Minzu Rd, East District, Hsinchu City, Taiwan 300)
Photo Cr: watergold
- (Nearing to the end) The bridge which she sat down with Ouyang to listen to what Taiyu had to say to her; and ended up crying like crazy is located at Niulanhe Riverside Park (Guanxi Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan 306)
- The place where Zhenxin challenged Taiyu to see who can skate to the end first is at Touqianxi Riverside Park (300, Taiwan, 新竹市東區, Zhonghua Road)
2. Scene whereby Taiyu brought her to the place where they practiced skating together under the beautiful lights – Muzha Park 木柵公園
Location: No. 50 Section 4 Xinglong Road Taipei 台北市興隆路4段50號
Directions: From Jingmei Station, take bus 253/660 from Jingmei Junior High School and alight directly at the park
Do note that the lights are not permanent and if you’re visiting at night.. here’s how it might be looking like:
3. The bookshop where he bought the keychain for her + Andy Lau standee – 大地书局
Img Cr: watergold
Address: No. 117, Zhongzheng Rd, Luzhou District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 247 新北市蘆洲區中正路117號
4. The Cafe that they Study at – 小歇泡沫紅茶
Address: 之2, No. 1, Lane 88, Section 1, Beixin Rd, Xindian District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 231 新北市新店區北新路1段88巷1號之2
Directions: Walking distance from Xindian District Office Station
Do note that it is a real shop selling Bubble Red Tea and food.
5. The Movie Room where Taiyu confronted Zhenxin over the Chain Letter – 西門町U2電影館 Ximending U2 Movie Room
Address: 9 Floor, No. 70, Xining S Rd, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
Directions: Walking distance from Ximen MRT
Anyway, this place is known as MTV if I’m not wrong it is like a Movie TV room whereby you can rent movies and watch in a private room. They don’t have such places in Singapore but it is quite a popular concept in Korea and some rooms are just like square boxes. If you are wondering, the scene was filmed in room T15.
6. Roller Skating Rink which they skipped school for – Taipei City Youth Development Office Y17青少年育樂活動中心
Address: 100, Taiwan, Taipei City, Zhongzheng District, Section 1, Renai Rd, No.17, 7 Floor
Directions: Walking distance from NTU Hospital Station
Yes this place is a real indoor roller skating rink which is still in operation today. However, the scene that you see in the movie has been deliberately dress up to look like back in the 90s. Visiting it now will look something like below.
*Do note that rollerskates = 4 wheels in a square while rollerblade = 4 wheels in a line
Here’s a map I marked out in case you want to have a gauge of how far the places are..
That’s the end of my filming locations entry for 我的少女时代 Our Times movie. I hope I did not miss out on any significant locations and do let me know if there’s anywhere that I’ve missed out. If you’re retrieving any information or re-posting this information to another place, do remember to do a courtesy link back to mine or the other websites that I’ve retrieved information from. Ending off with the favourite quote of the movie.